Knowledge Check #14

         After listening to the TED Talk "Why We Need Universal Design," my eyes were opened to the concept of universal design and how it applies to everyone and not just to those with a disability. I liked how Michael Nesmith said that every single one of us has a disability, no matter how temporary, permanent, mild, or severe it may be, and that is what unifies us as humans. I thought it was incredible that, despite his disability of being deaf, Michael used an interpreter to give an entire TED talk (which ironically covered disabilities and universal design's role in that). I've never thought about the fact that disability drives innovation every single day, and how individuals like Michael who are deaf, blind, etc. must innovate unique solutions to their obstacles each and every day. They even have to change the style of their communication according to the setting they are in and who they are speaking to. That takes so much effort, and it is most definitely overlooked in our society. Additionally, I never would have thought of automatic sliding doors as a type of universal design. Through this TED Talk, I learned that universal design can benefit those with a large variety of disabilities, whether they be of physical, cognitive, emotional, or temporary type, and that simply highlights its importance, not only in society but also in the field of occupational therapy.

Comments

  1. I completely agree!! I too loved how Michael thought of not only the individuals in the deaf community, but he unified all persons by including everyone in this design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and completely agree with Michael saying that universal design applies to everyone, not just those with disabilities. I also agree that every single one of us has a disability and that it unites us as humans. We all could benefit from universal design and should strive to make our world more inclusive for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I feel like disabilities are overlooked every single day because when we think "disability" we think of someone who can't do things themselves. I think it's important to understand that "disabilities" come in so many different levels, whether it be mild, or severe, we have to innovate accordingly. Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked how Micheal said that every one of us has a disability. I think we look over that often, but I can see that it could be what unifies us as humans.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Driving and Community Mobility Lecture

Post-Mock Interview Reflection

Reflection of Era Presentations